Monday, December 2, 2013

Staple Removers

Time to start tearing out the carpet! I didn't realize that each step would be a different piece of carpet, but they're definitely coming off in chunks, which is awesome because I can work on them one by one without having to worry about anyone's paws stepping on errant staples or nails.
 
 
There are approximately eleventy billion staples to remove from each step. It looks like there was previously another type of padding on the stairs, which was removed, but the staples are still there, so I get double the staples.

 
Step one went great, step two revealed a problem. The wood is not plywood, its... gross. I'm not sure if I'll be able to sand it.


 
One emergency call to my father later, and we decided to continue removing and try to deal with the yuckwood as we go. I'm not sure if I'll be able to sand it, we don't know if it'll flake. It's going to be an adventure and may involve lots of filler.

 
Right now all but about four stairs are removed. The two crazyshaped ones in the center have normal plywood, which is heartening. Not sure what I'll be doing about the others though. The rest of the carpet will come off tomorrow in the light of day, and probably some from the living room too. Everyone knows staples are afraid of sunlight. EVERYONE.


No comments:

Post a Comment