Monday, July 9, 2018

Captivity


Currently I’m on month 11 of captivity. I haven’t been allowed to drive or walk very far since last August.  In that time, I have only been more than a few miles from my house three times. It began to chaff months ago, and now we have moved directly past the blistering phase and into callouses. I no longer really stress about it, but I do spend a lot of time hiding in bed so that the days all seem the same. I had to google what month it was a few days ago, because I honestly wasn’t sure.

The most accurate representation of the amount of time spent in bed is probably my cross stitch project, which has gone from this: 


To this: 


Though to be honest I haven't worked on it at all since my surgery, which was in May. It turns out high doses of painkillers make entertainment mostly redundant. I had a few weeks in a cast where I couldn't put any weight on my right foot at all. My father came to visit to play butler, which probably kept me from re-injuring myself. I also had a night nurse: 


When the wraps came off, it turned out I was in a Twilight Zone episode where all of the people have cankles and the surgeon gave me implants to look like them. 



A few weeks later I had stitches removed and was graduated to a walking cast. Currently I'm splitting time between that and a splint. As of late May, I am technically allowed to drive, but I suffer for it afterwards, and its a fairly painful process to brake. I am still pain-restricted to the area around my house, but it means I'm at least able to drive myself to physical therapy instead of taking a medicaid sponsored cab.




No comments:

Post a Comment