Thursday, August 22, 2013

Paint it whiteish-black

So I started painting the bathroom using the leftover paint I had from my kitchen cabinets. I used the lightest of the two colours I used on the cabinets, which is Behr's Silver Hill. The reason I have an extra gallon of this is that I was suckered in to paying extra for the Paint + Primer version, which still took 3 coats to cover bare wood, and even then was scratching off easily so I called and complained and they bought me more paint. That wasn't extremely helpful, and I wound up sealing the cabinets with a poly just to keep them from being scratched up. They also told me I needed to let it cure for 4 weeks before I could seal it, so it took almost a year to finish my cabinets.

This gallon hasn't proved to be any better in terms of coverage. The first coat came out... super thin. I got it free, but I kinda want my money back. I definitely don't recommend this paint.


 
The second and third coats came out slightly better, now I just have a few touchups and some trim to do tomorrow. It's not as dark as it looks, but its hard to get a good picture of it. The crazy swoopy lightness is thanks to the heat lamp in that area, which is casting neat shadows now. 


The tile is a charcoal grey, so the room will be a lot darker than its previous pinkish incarnation.  My mother, who is a white-walls supremacist, won't like it, but I like it a lot better than I did before. Hopefully it hides kitty litter well.

No comments:

Post a Comment