Sunday, November 10, 2013

The countdown begins

When last I wrote, I was just starting out on my bedroom. Moving my bed into the living room turned out to be a horrible idea for my sleep patterns. Between that, an impending houseguest, and the fact that I finished another class and don't have a new one until halfway through November, I decided to try to finish this project before November 15th. It's a lot of work to do in a tiny amount of time, so I've been slow at posting. I'm going to try to catch up now, while I'm between coats of paint.

First off, you should know that the step after pulling up the carpet involves a lot of tools. Laying them out like this makes me feel like I'm prepping for a torture scene. Actually, that's pretty accurate. Most of these I use for pulling staples, moulding and extra bits of carpet.

 
The first order of business, though, was convincing a very confused cat that his new home really IS the living room. He wants so badly to help with this project and get back into his normal space. And by "help", I mean "trip me as I'm carrying sharp implements."

 
Next up, moulding removal. You can see that the paint on the walls is pretty spotty. I was in a hurry last time I painted this room as well, and it definitely shows in the daylight. I decided that the walls need a new coat to help them look shiny and new. I decided to do this before starting the floor so that drips wouldn't be an issue. This turned out to be a horrible idea, because the newly painted walls got covered with tons of dust, which I'm having a hard time removing.



 
The painting is necessary because there are two large patches on the walls, from taking out the electric heater that was in this room. I'm having a heat pump installed later this week, so the heaters will be redundant, and keep me from putting furniture where I want it. There are two patches in this room, because at one point we moved the heater to another wall. The patch from this is UGLY.
 
 
The heater holes are filled with insulation and covered with sheetrock, courtesy of my father, but I have to put tape/mud/texture on them. Somehow I missed getting pictures of the post-taping steps, but rest-assured, the patches are less patchy now.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment