Sunday, October 27, 2013

Carpet bagging

I used to have a truck. Trucks are awful to have when anyone needs to move, but they are very, very good to have when you need to get a room's worth of carpet and padding to the dump. Since I no longer have a truck, my father is visiting tomorrow to help me haul out the carpet from this room. This means I'm on a pretty tight timeline to get this done today, despite the fact that I was up til 630 in the morning comforting a crazy cat and talking to a sick friend.
 
I finished moving the rest of the stuff from my closet and started doing the prep work for the floors. It's unfortunately not as easy as just pulling up the carpet. Well, it could be, but that gets crap everywhere. The first order of business was sealing the door that goes into the bathroom. I'm trying to limit the amount of dust that escapes from the bedroom as much as I can this time.
 
 
Next step, removing the mouldings. I didn't do this in the hallway, and I regretted it the whole time. In fact, it still needs to be done, but will probably wait until this room is done. Sleeping in the living room sucks.

 
Hooray for being moulding-free! While I was pulling up the mouldings in the closet, I am pretty sure I discovered a new species of spider living beneath them. I haven't thought of a name for it yet, but closet spiders are the new Coelacanth.

 
Then the carpet came up. The pad underneath looks pretty, but its grooooosssssss.

 
This is the type of stuff under the carpet. Its not mold, its gritty, gross, sandy dust. It makes my eyes burn even through my safety glasses. It is probably some sort of closet spider residue. It is now safely in Stanley's containment unit. No streams were crossed in the containing.
 
Meanwhile, in the living room, Pharaoh is concerned at the amount of progress the bedroom is taking. He stares longingly in that direction all day. You can also get an idea of exactly how much crap had to be moved out of the bedroom. Hopefully the heating guys will be able to maneuver.

 
 
And this is the result for today: a big pile of garbage. I only got about halfway through the tack strips, but fortunately I can fit those in my normal garbage can, so I'm not as worried about getting them up before tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment