Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Lac Bai

Note: Somehow I lost all my photos from this location, but if you'd like to see what it looks like you can visit my previous post on the area here. Just imagine the same thing but with a lower tide and many, many more people. 

Like the kiteboarders at Atlantis, windsurfers have been confined to Lac Bai, on the other side of the island. This is a sheltered lagoon that is mostly about 4 feet deep. It is a popular place for cruise ship tourists to visit, and when we arrived it was packed.

We found a table at Sebastians, one of the restaurants here, and ordered lunch as we watched the place slowly empty of cruisers who were due back at their ship. Having never been here during high season, I had no idea how many scooters, golf carts, and tour buses the ships generate. I’m sure its great for the economy, but its an annoyance on the barely-two lane roads to be stuck behind someone who cant go more than 15 KPH. It is a relief when the ships leave and traffic returns to island-normal.

Last time I was here, there was one ship and one flight a week coming into the island. Now there are several each day, and the population seems to double from visitors. The cruisers are usually only here for a few hours, so they take busses/golfcarts/scooters to places like Lac Bai to try windsurfing or get a the beer.

I’m not a huge fish fan, so my food options on the island can be limited. I’ve been surprised and delighted to see this time that nearly all the menus now include carpaccio. As a fan of rare beef and truffles, I’m OK with this. I got carpaccio on a pizza crust with rocket and we sat in the shade watching people.

The one photo that survived from this visit was a picture of my father's feet in the sand in the restaurant. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment