Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Lighthouse Beach

Today was a lazy recovery day. We didn’t do much but walk to one of the nearby beaches which happens to have the nearest Pokemon Go stop. My father normally only plays PoGo when I'm around, so we decided to go check it out. 



Everything from the high-tide mark to 60 metres of depth here is considered part of the national marine park. Visitors pay a $40 fee for park entry and can snorkel/scuba/etc all around the island. This means that even the “private” beaches are public and can be walked along. Bonaire is one of the best places in the world for shore diving, and people just park their cars on the side of the road, then suit up and go in the water.


My mother hunted for shells while my father and I caught Pokemon and grabbed a few pictures. 


I found a dinglehopper in the sand. Of course these are used by mermaids to brush their hair. All the disposable silverware on the island is made of bamboo to keep plastic from ruining the ecosystem, but almost every beach has random forks all over which haven't yet broken down. I'm not sure how long it takes bamboo to disintegrate, but I look forward to visiting Fork Beach in the future when there is no sand, only utensils. 


On previous trips, my dearly departed friend Mugabo always commented on the pictures I took of brain coral, so I've been taking more in his memory when I see them. 


Pokemon caught and beaches scoured, we returned home. 









1 comment:

  1. Glad to see coral leaves its brains behind for us to admire.

    ReplyDelete