Thursday, February 16, 2023

Peanut Cheese and Sprinkles

After my visit to Seru Largu, my right arm was suffering a sunburn and Lupus rash from hanging it out the car window, so I didn't feel up to doing much. Seemed like a good time to visit the grocery stores!


The island is a mish-mash of influences: Dutch, South American, Asian, and Caribbean, and that is reflected in the stores. My parents primarily shop in the Dutch stores, one of which is frequented by natives (Warehouse Bonaire), and the other popular with ex-pats (Van den Tweel). They are, respectively, the island equivalent of  Wal-mart and Metropolitan Market in terms of both pricing and item selection. If you want some cheap frosted flakes knock offs from Lenny the Lion, go to Warehouse. 


If a large selection of sprinkles is more your thing, then Van den Tweel's is your place. Both stores are on the same block, so we often visited both depending on what my parents were shopping for. 


Yes, that's Pindakaas (Peanut Cheese) next to the sprinkles. Cheese is an important part of the Dutch diet in all its forms. 

Because I enjoy eating like a five-year-old, I picked up some of these candy drinks to have during happy hours, but then promptly forgot them in the fridge. I suspect they may be there in a decade if I return. 


And sometimes the untranslated names make me giggle because, again, I am a child. 


I also got some hagelslag of my own, which I used the next day to make a traditional Dutch breakfast (for children). 


I am not allowed to eat it indoors, because my mother keeps thinking errant sprinkles are rat poop, so it is best enjoyed by the pool.








No comments:

Post a Comment