Sunday, June 15, 2014

I've made a huge mistake

I bought the stencil for this room at least six months ago, and I haven't looked at it since. I knew what it looked like, and what I was going to do with the colors. This was a huge mistake. Some stencils the background colour is the dominant color of the stencils, and in some its the colour you are painting over the top. All of the ones I have used to date are the latter sort, so I didn't really think to check how this one was.
 
So at midnight when I started stenciling I didn't give the matter much thought. It took five coats of white to get the stencil to show up properly, which was kinda a pain, especially given how large this area is. Then I pulled it up...and found the negative of the image I wanted. With the black background, this makes WAY too much white. What I wanted was more black with white stripes, not more white with black stripes.

 
Its late, and I feel crunched for time on this, to get it finished and furniture moved in before I leave for vacation and so I compounded my poor decision by repainting the main floor area with Fresh Day. I *think* I have enough to do two, maybe three coats. I hope this will be enough for the base coat, and that I have enough black to do the stencil. I just couldn't handle leaving it like it was, I didn't think it would look nice and it was too much white. It may seem picky, but since I will be looking at this every day and looking at it, I'd rather get it right than constantly want to repaint it.

 
I could have saved myself time and painting had I looked closely at the stencil to figure it out, so I'm frustrated and irritated with the whole thing. In my haste to put the fresh day down I think I also messed up the borders. Having white in the center will effectively remove one of the stripes. Hopefully that mistake I can live with at least. The silver lining is that I think it will take less black paint to cover the white than vice versa. At this point I think there is probably a 50% chance I will wind up ditching the stencil and just making my own stripes with frog tape and my level. I like the curlicues on the stencil, but this project is making me crazy right now. Definitely time for some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment