Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Other Pursuits


My friend (and better blogger) Jeff asked if I was going to continuously remodel my house just so that I’d have stuff to blog about. I think the number of projects in this place is probably never-ending, which I am afraid makes me Old Lady Winchester. I expect Indian Clowns to come out of the trap door any minute now, as construction has ceased for three days. (Side note: I was terrified of the Winchester Mansion as a child, and my parents frequently used it to scare me into doing whatever it was they wanted me to do ("Eat your zucchini or you'll go to the Winchester Mansion...") I am pretty sure it was my 6-year-old brain's version of hell. Yes, I was scared of a house.)

After a few touch-ups this morning, the paint is happily drying on its own. I can't tape it up for the design for another 72 hours, so I don’t have much to write about today. Instead it’s time to get into the wayback machine and head to a month ago when I made this pot rack.
 

It’s made out of a brushed-nickel closet rod that I cut to size, and some Ikea S-hooks. My neighbor caught me outside using a hacksaw to cut it down, and I am pretty sure he thinks I was making a stripper pole for dwarves.  I told Science-Doctor Dad that, and he pointed out that it wasn’t thick enough to be a stripper pole. He is sure of this, because my mother has been taking pole-dancing lessons and wants one put into her house. It’s so nice to have normal parents.
I'll post some other mini-projects I've done lately over the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. So have you been to the Winchester Mystery House yet? I've been twice. It's in the parking lot of the Century Theaters in San Jose. One time when my friend Paul and I were going to see a movie (probably something with Bruce Willis in it), I yelled at the ghosts and dared them to try something as I shook my fist at them. When we got out of the movie, two of the tires were flat on Paul's truck. They may or may not have been shot out by a Winchester Ghost Rifle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go, once, at the worst possible time. The only time I have been there was during their Halloween no-lights event where they give you a flashlight and you tour the house at night. It did nothing to quell my nightmares, especially since the creepy lighting looked just like the episode of Ripley's Believe It Or Not that had scared me in the first place. But at least my tires stayed intact I guess.

      Delete