Thursday, July 11, 2013

Productiviwhat!

I am a horrible artist, as anyone who has played Draw Something! with me can attest. I come from a long line of individuals who have not artistically matured past cave painters. If I was to try to draw on the floor, the whole thing would look something like this:


That might actually be my best drawing ever, because you can ALMOST tell what it is. Needless to say, it won't work for the floor. Now that my hired help has fallen through, I am looking at alternatives to get the design down.


I've blown up the cotton candy on my computer by about a zillion percent and printed it out across multiple pages. I wasn't really sure what size I wanted it to be, so I tried it at some different scales. I finally settled on one that was sort of in the middle.

 


Then I trimmed it and taped the whole mess together:


I decided to try to cut it out so that I can trace around the outline for the first layer of pink, so now I have a huge piece of cotton candy. It looks tasty, and I wish I could just stick it to the floor and paint over it, but somehow I think that might be a bad idea.



Some of you have offered suggestions, the best being to use an overhead projector to display it on the floor and trace it. I don't have the equipment for that, so I'm going to try to use the marking paper my mother taught me to use to mark patterns. I'm not sure how well this will work, but I am sure that it'll wipe up easily if I mess it up too badly. I will have to transfer the pattern in layers, as the black outline will be going on over the pink of the cotton candy.
 
 
I managed the first layer of pink. I tried to keep the brush strokes cottoncandyesque, but I didn't exactly go to the Sorbonne. (Well ok, but I didn't go to the part of it where they teach you how to MAKE art. Besides, I think ceilings and floors are more of an Italian thing...) For the cotton candy I'm using Valspar Interior Paint in Pink Burst. I picked up a sample of it for less than $3 and it should be more than enough to finish the cotton candy. I am hoping it holds up underneath the floor sealant, even though its not porch paint. I may be doing more cotton candy painting as the years go on.
 
 It is VERY high on the pink scale right now, but I plan to try to mix in some of the lighter pink for the next coat, hoping the darker undercoat will give it depth, but I'm sure that's what the cavemen thought when painting cotton candy on their walls too. It's slightly less neon than it looks in the photos, but only slightly.



The paper cone part is the same type of paint sample in Birchwood White.

I also managed to clean up most of the paint bleed using a fine brush, there weren't too many bad spots, with the majority being predictably near the clown closet and pee corner. Yes, that's my foot and its covered with paint.

 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment