Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Indecision

Now that the sanding is well under way, I'm working on picking out the colours and pattern to paint on the hallway floor. Right now, I'm conflicted about the whole thing. The only thing I know for sure is that I'd like to carry some of the bright purple from the outside of the house into the entry way.

The pattern is the first difficulty. I'm looking at two different stencil styles right now, this moroccan-inspired pattern, and this trellis thing. I'm mostly decided on the Moroccan one, but that may change by tomorrow.

I'm also torn on the colors (swatches below, keep in mind they read darker and bluer on my phone, links to the web pages for the colours below too). I'm trying to decide between three combinations.


  1. Chimney Smoke (dark grey) or Corduroy Black (darker grey), Twilight Purple (darkdark purple) and tiny dots of Spirit Blue (bright purple)
  2. Twlight Purple (dark purple) and Spirit Blue (Bright Purple)
  3. Chimney Smoke (Dark Grey) and Oatlands Violet (medium purple)
Please feel free to provide your votes so I can ignore them and/or pretend it was all your idea!

Update:

I took a trip to Lowe's this morning. It turns out their database was down, which caused a big delay, but I wound up coming home with some samples, which I painted on a piece of plywood that I had in the garage.

 
I let it dry, then I painted stripes on each colour just so I could see how they looked together. No, I'm not going to paint the floor plaid. 

 
And here's the colours in natural light, against the house. Again, my phone is making everything way more blue than it should be, the house is a very purpleyviolet.

 
 
I decided I like the dark purple a lot, and I think I'm going to do the pattern on top in silver, but I'm not wild about the dark grey with it. They're both too cool toned I think. So now I'm looking at using a brown for the border instead. The bad thing about the purple is that it needs a primer or something else underneath it, because its thin and shows the grain badly.
 
This is a picture against the walls. I think tomorrow I'll pick a brown and just go with it. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment