Friday, September 27, 2013

Valspar is made of lies

I went to Lowe's this morning to have my paint mixed up. I wasn't 100% sure of the colors, but I had mostly decided. I was going to get a sample of one other black color to try with the super dark purple.

Lowe's, however informed me that they couldn't mix the paint in the Porch and Floor paint I was after. This is especially weird, because their literature claims the porch paint can be tinted to ANY Valspar color. Not "some" or "most." It says "ANY" color, and that was why I had decided to go with Valspar for this project.

 
If you watch television at all, you've probably seen a hundred Lowe's commercials lately advertising their ability to color match to any color. Apparently this is also a lie. I'm seriously irked at both Lowe's and Valspar that I spent a bunch of money on samples, when they can't even make the paint.
 
I contacted Valspar via phone and was told that the porch paint only comes in certain pre-fab colors, which is clearly not the case, because I had previously had custom colors mixed from their normal catalog. Even the label on the Porch & Floor paint says its available in custom colors.

 
 
The only reason I have been going to Lowe's at all over the course of this project was because I was buying the paint there, so the false claim of getting any color mixed seriously irksome. Pharaoh informs me from his study of daytime court shows that this is a case of detrimental reliance. He's on the job, lawyering for me. Supposedly they're going to reimburse me for the samples I purchased, but we'll see how that goes.
 
On the bright side, I took the paint chip for the colors I wanted to Home Despot, they ran them through their system and they say they can match them in Behr Porch Paint. So if I decide I really want these colors, I'm not out of options. I'm going to take the weekend to decide.
 
How embarrassing for Valspar that their competitor will make one of their colors when they themselves can't. I won't be using any more Valspar products again if they can't find a way to make good on this.
 
I suppose its just as well. Last night I left the sample board on the floor, and the cats took the opportunity to demonstrate which colors show dusty pawprints the most.
 
 

 
Still, fuck you, Lowes and Valspar for making me waste my time picking a color and driving back and forth!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment